Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Back and Blogging

The best news yet:

Check out http://www.goodsociety.org/ -- for FAIR TRADE JEANS!!!!!!!!!!!

Sold in stores all over US. I haven't checked into price yet, but they are made in India are fully sustainable and HOT!....

I know. I disappeared. So, it was summer. We were in Florida. I never sat behind the computer. Vitality came back to me and for 4 months, we detoxed. From Massachusetts. From term papers. From shitty jobs. We went home with family, took a crazy trip to Costa Rica with Chris and Pam and spent almost every single day floating in the waves (well, Thomas tried to float!)


But I'm back. I never stopped researching or pressing on with supporting only the fairest of companies, but I have by no means been perfect in this journey. It's nearly impossible. And completely exhausting. But we are keeping on, doing the best we can.

For all of you year round beach bums, the options for bikinis and swimming trousers are limited. I did find one designer who hand makes bikinis, but for a high price. The cheapest was $200. So...I completely compromised and bought 2 new ones at.... please don't hate me.....Target.... I was desperate. Desperate to rip off my clothes and do sand angels at St. Aug Beach and body surfing at Sebastian Inlet, I gave in.. (why didn't we just go to the nude beaches? oh yeah, that 14 year old shadow of mine..)


I was torn inside at doing this. I hate this. I hate that the options are limited. I hate that people are suffering for the sake of our ward robes. I hate that I love clothing so much and that with a closet full of clothing, I like none of it. Sometimes I wish I could throw on my torn jeans and be respected at my job. Sometimes I wish I could meet with CEO of Banana Republic and all the rest of them to ask them if they can sleep at night. Ask him if they dream about all of the Jose's and Cecilia's who eat 1x a day so he can drive his Lexus. It's bullshit.
SO- I've come to 2 conclusions:
1. This journey won't stop at the end of this year. It's a decison I want to press into for as long as I live.

2. I'm opening up shop. The research to open a business or start a Fair Trade label has begun. I don't know exactly how it will look yet or when it will all come together, but we are doing this. Any feedback you have is highly desired.



7 comments:

  1. You're an inspiration, Julie. I'm with ya girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate reading your blog. Have you checked out fairindigo.com? I love their fair trade clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Elisa,

    We should hang out again some time!

    Yes, Fair Indigo is good. I am planning to do a posting on them, really because they deserve to be written about. I don't necessarily find much of their stuff that interesting though. They have good basic pieces and it is great how they continue to expand their line. Have you ever bought anything from them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you Jules. Welcome back to the blog. Your blogs were missed, but I know the detox was well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why does my profile show up as Chris? Whoops. Just know it's Pam and not my husband hitting on you, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. FYI for anyone in Florida, Goodsociety jeans seems to only have 1 store:

    The Exchange (the store is called Gifthourse)
    Gainesville, FL
    www.theexchangeart.com

    Jules, maybe over Christmas break we should make a "research" trip to this store together? It is also an ART GALLERY that has shows with local artists (which gets me thinking for your future store, kind of blends with a vision you had many years ago...)

    They carry these brands (Jules are you familiar with all of these?)

    Gifthorse is working with the good people at:

    TOMS Shoes

    OBEY Clothing

    Alternative

    Threadless tees

    Lifetime Collective

    Ethletic

    Jedidiah

    Good Society organic jeans

    Rosa Loves

    Lira clothing *Coming Soon*

    Montana [Spain] *Coming Soon*

    and a selection of local independent designers

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry for mispelling the name, it's Gifthorse

    ReplyDelete