Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Just Don't Do It.

Nike is never the option. Not their shirts, their sports gear, their shoes. Nothing. I knew this, but today I came across this news report. After this Channel 7 in the UK exposed this, Nike's VP of Social Responsibility said this: 

Hannah Jones, Nike's vice president for social responsibility, said she would not qualify the violations as human trafficking but said the investigation is ongoing.
"This isn't about definitions, this [is] about action on the ground to help these workers," Jones said.

Nike can't even admit it and call it what it is. Here's the rest of the article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25970840/ns/business-world_business/

Google Nike +sweatshops and you will see numerous accusations and charges all around the globe. Bangladesh, Honduras, El Salvador, Malaysia just to name a few.

Just because Tiger and Serena and Michael Jordan endorse Nike, doesn't mean anyone else should.

1 comment:

  1. Good to know. You'd think with how much they charge, they could pay a fair wage. So my question is... next time I purchase, what should I get? My last two pairs have been Adidas. My current ones are not as comfy as my old ones which, as you know, met their tragic demise in Costa Rica. I may have to hold a memorial service for them on the one year anniversary.

    ReplyDelete