Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 22, 2010

Boozing Fairly


Maybe boozing is the wrong word. I don't think of myself of a boozer necessarily, but in the last few years Ted and I have certainly found ourselves google mapping dozens of wineries on our road trips and our world travels. It's just fun. I love the smell of a Merlot that has aged in an old oak barrel and there is nothing like a glass of chilled pinot grigio paired with fresh mahi mahi straight off the grill; especially while celebrating the joy of being a Floridian on the back pool deck as the sun goes down. Ted and I have found ourselves to be a 'red' couple, although our first kiss was over a bottle (or two) of chardonnay. We spent much time our first year of marriage hanging at our favorite wine bar, The Cork and Keg, and have drug even the dryest of friends into spontaneous tastings and wine fairs.

This particular experience happened just this past weekend as my dearest Sanaa (who is also searching and digging to live as fairly as she can and who leaves the great comments) and her way cool husband Andrew traveled up for their first visit to our room, I mean apartment. It was the suniest it has been since we've moved here to Boston, the perfect weekend for the two of them to come. We walked the famous Freedom Trail and wandered into Bottles, a wine shop close to Little Italy, where we first tasted some great beers, but then.............. sitting on the bottom shelf:

FAIR TRADE BEER! (WE FREAKED OUT!) In fact, this beer is the first ever to be certified as Fair Trade. The company Peak Organic Brewing Company, operates out of Portland Maine and has created a beautiful combination of ale and coffee, deemed the 'espresso amber ale.' The Bolvian grown beans turned espresso are Fair Trade ceritified. And this beer is not just fair, but rich and tasty, pairing beautifully with chocolate cake as the website reccomends. http://http://www.peakbrewing.com/category/our-brews/

Ted and I have also recently found out about Fairhills. South African Fair Trade wine. Way cool. Some Whole Foods carry them, others don't, but simply tell the manager you would like to buy this product and he can put a request in for you. (that's a tidbit of info on any fair product you'd like to see you in your grocery store. More often than not, Whole Foods will work with you.) We have not tasted Fairhills yet, but it's on the list. http://www.fairhills.co.za/
Also, I've heard about Etica winery whose slogan is "Drink Like You Give A Damn." Pretty damn clever. From their site: http://www.eticawines.com/ourwines.php
"Etica works with wine producers from South Africa, Chile and Argentina—the only Fair Trade certified wine producing countries in the world. As an importer, Etica pays a premium on the grapes, which in turn is used by producers to develop community initiatives—from education and housing, to healthcare and professional development."

Again, we've yet to taste these fair wines, but are making the effort to get them ordered! Ted and I plan to host a tasting of these wines for all of you winos out there. And for all of you who drink b/c it's the classy thing to do. Or for those of you who sip on the grapes only on special occasions, like when you make it home from another day of work, or when you've decided to take exercising to the next level and really use those muscles as you uncork 5 or 6 bottles. Or for all of you who perhaps you don't drink at all, but find yourself being drug into wineries with those you love (thanks Andrew. thanks Chris. thanks Larry.) You are all invited.

And in the spirit of the drink, I propose a closing toast of sorts: To a fabulous weekend with my Sanaa (and now my Andrew too.) It was so very special to me. Thank you for putting up with my craziness for over 13 years, for loving me just as I am today and for letting me need you. I love standing up for fairness and justness with you Sanaa. I love doing this together. And may we never forget the dog in the vintage boutique, Wowsas, cause "I won't judge you."
Here's to 13 more years of life together Sanaa, you and me and our brainy husbands. I love you Sister.

And here's to Boozing. And boozing fairly.

I'll keep you posted.







2 comments:

  1. Please have a tasting in FL sometime. We'll even force Chris to try it, in the spirit of fair trade.
    And funny story I didn't tell you... I ordered an entire bottle of wine for myself at a restaurant on a wim while we were at the beach (it took me a week to finish it, but I eventually did). You would be proud... although, it wasn't fair trade, :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. OHOH! The post before mine, is that the infamous Pam?! If it is Pam, it's Sanaa, Andrew and I sat with you and Christ at Jules and Teds rehearsal dinner, congrats on the house, your picture is in their Boston apartment. Anyhow, does Chris not drink, because my hubby doesn't either :)

    Anyhow, Jules thanks for the posts. Thanks for the toast :) Tehehe.

    Love, Sanaa

    ReplyDelete