Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Green does not mean Fair



Emily may just be my saving grace.

We met tonight for coffee at Clear Conscience Cafe in Central Square on Mass Ave. (for all you Bostonians, check it out, they serve only fair trade coffees and teas)
Originally we met at a talk by Polaris Project at the Kennedy School at Harvard. This was like 6 months ago. (And this is why I still have no friends in this busy city because it typically takes an average of 3 months to hang out with people. I'm irritatedly becoming accustomed.) Nonetheless, Emily and I connected quickly because she is also a former IJMer. (International Justice Mission www.ijm.org. You need them in your life.)

We shared about our lives, our nerdy husbands who solve calculus problems for fun and at one point she mentioned she liked the blog... I told her I had just come back from a 3 week trip to Florida (sorry for my absence blog) and that a frustration was building in me because of well, a rug. During a visit with my dear friends, Pam and I took the afternoon to window shop and soak up the sun. In a downtown shop of Winter Park, Orlando, there was this white rug made from bamboo that would be perfect in my bathroom. This was one of those eco-friendly stores where they sell handbags made of recycled plastic bags and the best yet, paper made from elephant poo. So Pam and I meander through this store, I find the clearance rack and this awesome white rug that simply belongs in my lime green apartment. I read the tags. Good news, its 100% bamboo. I care about the environment and bamboo is the most sustainable resource out there, right? Bad news: Made In China. I ask for the manager. He gives me some fluff about how they are careful when they buy products, but it seems he has no idea what I'm saying when I mention the words "fair trade" and his reaction to the word "slavery" implied he was clueless about the strong bond between rugs and child labour. Pam and I even googled the company on her phone to which brought no further information. I left that green store rugless and sad.

Green my friends does not imply Fair. Let us not assume this. There are some awesome eco-friendly websites like Pristine Planet where you can buy organic wedding gowns and Green Home that provides a variety of great stuff for the house. BUT! BUT!!!! Many many times these green sites give little or no info on the people who made the products.
How ridiculous that I need to choose between helping the environment and supporting just labor standards? Why the hell can't the eco folks and fair trade folks join up?!

Emily agrees. There needs to be a label, an association similar to the Fair Trade one that certifies for clothing, for furniture, for the stuff in life. This way the Gap can say you know what, just like we started making organic t-shirts and baby clothes because it was a fad, we are going to make one line of Fair Trade jeans. All of us advocates buy 2 pairs of those jeans, Gap finds these pants are surviving the market and even bringing in profit and they decide to do a slave free sweater for next season. And then Gap gets an even more ingenious idea (which they will read from this blog I'm sure) to sell the first ever organic/fair trade khaki pants someone can buy from a mall.

All of a sudden, you've got entire slave-free or rather FAIR LABOR, Organic run way shows. Heidi Klum is turning down photo shoots unless its Fair Labor lingerie, Victoria. Yeah yeah! Hook me up on that homies! This is what needs to happen. And we aren't sacrificing green for fair.

So basically I'm tired of choosing. I'll let you know of any sites I find that do both. (My dearest Sanaa mentioned www.greenamerica.org which rates companies based on green and fair. They are a great resource!) Other than that, I'm still searching. It seems I find food products who do both, but very little when it comes to household goods, clothing, etc.

Maybe Emily will start a Fair Labor certification process for big companies. Maybe we'll do it together. But for now, let's not wait until Fair is a fad to start buying that way.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jules, It's good to have you back in "town", we missed your guidance in our consumerist lives :)

    So with Pristine Planet just to let everyone know, you can select criteria like Fair trade to narrow the search, so it goes something like this... There are all these fabulous shoes and then you narrow down to Fair trade and one pair of shoes from hemp and recycled tires shows up. The sweat shop free option is a bit more helpful...

    I was really inspired by your investigating specific main line apparel companies labor policies, I never thought of looking past your typical fair trade/sweat shop free wear... This method proved very helpful when looking for "intimates"... I have found some undies from sweat shop free operations that are decent. But bras I thought were hopeless. I found some promising info on SPANX though. There was this posting on a vegan blog concerning the company...

    "Dear Sonja,

    Thank you for contacting SPANX. We can assure you that our items are constructed here in the USA. Our manufacturers are taken care of and we do not promote anything but the utmost respect for what they do. We do import some material however, we have been assured that they textile industries we purchase from are upstanding and non exploitive.

    We hope this helps to put your concerns at ease, Sonja, and we look forward to having you try Spanx. We are very sure you will be pleased!

    If you have any more questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can email us at contactus@spanx.com or call our SPANX Customer Care line, Monday through Sunday, 8:00 AM until Midnight Eastern Standard Time at 1-888-806-7311 and one of our Customer Care representatives will be happy to assist you."

    So for better or worse I just put in a big purchase for bras and nylons and all those things that you DONT want made of hemp and recycled tires...

    Also the blog referenced a brand Bella Apparel that reportedly has good practice... They have undies and yoga wear etc.

    AND Lucy a brand under the VG company you researched Jules has SPORT BRAS!!!!!

    If anyone wants to check out the legit hand made stuff you can go to Decent Exposures who say of themselves...

    "At Decent Exposures® , we are very proud of our personalized service.

    We try hard to be a socially responsible business. All our products are made in Seattle where our employees receive good wages and benefits and the flexibility they need for themselves and their families. We use recycled products whenever possible and pass on large scraps to those who can use them (give us a call if you're interested). We neither buy mailing lists nor sell ours, so you need not worry that your name will be given to others."

    They don't have the sexiest stuff, but really aren't we over it? I ordered a whole bunch of comfy panties from Decent Exposures and will try to find something appealing for when we light the candles and turn on the John Coltrane at Bella Apparel :)

    So hope this has been helpful for all the fellow Julies followers having ta-tas and va-ja-jays :)

    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok so I fasted facebook for Lent. And somehow I forgot that fasting facebook didn't have to mean fasting blogspot. But nevertheless, I didn't see the posts on facebook and I didn't read. Shame on me! Yet somehow I still end up mentioned in your blog, even though it took me a month to find that out! :)
    I really enjoyed that store... too bad they seemed to be ignorant of what fair trade means.
    One day I think green and fair will merge, it just seems so logical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Sanaa love your closing line, you are too funny.

    ReplyDelete