Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Eve

In my family, Christmas Eve was rarely nothing more than appetizers, heavy egg nog and if we whined long enough, the opening of one present. But today, Im excited for more.

Today will be a long run in the sunshine, local seafood from Mayport, a talent show and even the experience of a first Christmas for our new friends from China. All of this is beautiful. I cant believe how blessed I am. Its been a rough year for my family financially and often this season Ive been reminded of the line from the carol, "what can I bring you, poor as I am? I give to you my heart." We arent poor, we are eating crab legs today, for Christs sake (literally), but its been hard. But we arent poor. We have jobs, we have paid lunch breaks, we have unemployment, we have our freedom, we have. We have. Maybe for the first time Im getting it...
And most definitely, for the first time, I can look under the tree and offer gifts made by those who also have. Have paid holidays, have a chance to go to school, have respect from their employer. What a joy to celebrate the birth of Christ with them together. Because of fair trade, they have the privelege of talent shows and local seafood with their families too.

Wishing you a very, Merry Eve.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.5

2 comments:

  1. beautiful. You are so right. "poor" is such a relative term. What one might call poor another might call rich. It is different all over the world. You have the right perspective. :) Have a blessed Christmas with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear all the details. And sorry I suck at following your blog. When you went a while without posting, I lost the habit of checking. :(

    ReplyDelete