Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Friday, January 22, 2010

Estee Lauder Companies- Origins




So, Estee Lauder is the proud owner of my favorite beauty supplier, Origins. I've known this for a couple of years and to be quite honest, was never too proud of using Estee Lauder products (who also owns 29 other lines as well including Coach, Tommy Hilfigger and Michael Kors) but the quality of Origins lines are incomparable. We are talking all natural ingredients from all over the world: mushroom serum from Dr. Andrew Weils creation, a certified organic line and let's not forget the best- not going-to-tear-your-face-to-shreds best facial scrub of my lifetime, Modern Friction. If you check out their ratings, almost every product reaches at least a %90 approval. Yes, yes I will be a lifelong consumer of Origins products.

Well, I was going to be a lifelong consumer. I hope I still will be. I spoke with their Customer Care Center. The woman on the line had no idea. I am finding this to be quite common. But, their code of conduct is promising:

"The Company requires all such suppliers to operate in compliance with all applicable laws, including, but not limited to, employment laws pertaining to child labor, minimum wages, overtime compensation, hiring and occupational safety. Under no
circumstances shall Company suppliers use child labor (under the
age of 16), prisoners, or slave labor."
(pg. 14, E L Companies Code of Conduct)

AND the products are only manufactured in the US, Canada, the UK , Belguim and Switzerland. This also is good news. The West has stricter factory regulations and more audits.

Here's my question: Origins prides itself on using rare products from remote places around the world. e discovered age-defying, free-radical neutralizing Silver-needle White Tea for our A Perfect World™ skincare collection in the mist-covered hills of Fujian in China...

We found skin-firming Rhodiola rosea, the heart of Youthtopia™ anti-aging treatments, in the remote mountains of Siberia...

How do I or anyone at the Customer Care Center know if the people harvesting these ingredients in China and Siberia are being paid fairly? Being paid at all? Just because a code of conduct is posted on a some random website that the common person, me, has to make a few phone calls to find, does this mean that these codes are being enforced on the hills of China? And how in the freaking world do I find this out?

So, I was given a gift card for Christmas. I really am dying to get in there and use it.....choices, choices.....

No comments:

Post a Comment