Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Saturday, January 9, 2010

I'm Responsible

In 2002 I found out about the 27 million people enslaved in our world today. In 2009I realized I was responsible. In 2009, it became clear to me that I was funding slavery. My chocolate addiction, my Starbucks obsession. Yep, me. Buying stuff that funds big corporations who exploit the poor in order to make a big profit...wowsers.

All of my life I have been consumed by desire for constant consumption. The newest techno gear, the hottest jeans, my never ending urge for chocolate, chocolate cake, mocha-choco lata ya ya. So when I first found out about slavery in college for awhile I went out all out hippie: thrift stores, garbage dumps, wearing 8th grade apparel, wearing nothing at all, even stealing stuff from friend's closets. I went from freegan to veegan to frustrated. 8 years later I'm still my hippie, thriftin' self, but now (without anyone asking me if it was ok) I've turned into an adult and I've been forced to buy grown up stuff. (to all you young hippies out there: the day you realize buying new underwear is the healthiest choice you can make for yourself is not the day you become a hypocrite)
Now I've got to buy things like a vacuum, business suits and mufflers. So yeah I could hit up the thrift store, but being the 6'1" giant that I am it's important to find trousers that not only hit my ankles, but don't ride up to my knees when I sit down. This is a challenge at the thrift store. And quite frankly, I really like the 'skinny pant.' It makes me feel, well, skinny. And I don't always like to dig through the junk yard looking for that muffler that fits my make and model. I don't have time for that nonsense.

This is my constant dilemma. I live in a fast-paced world where I need stuff to keep my world going round. How can I live my busy life and still ensure that the hard working people making the 'fabric of our lives' are being paid? Are being given days off? Are not children? Are not being raped? Are not bound against their will? I care about them. So that's what I'm doing this year. Trying to live a lifestyle free of slavery.

Maybe this seems like an extreme measure to take. Maybe its the responsible measure to take for the insane wealth I've been given. Can I really look God in the face one day, today even and say, "oh yeah, I know about those 27 million people who were forced to work. Forced to labor with little or no pay, with torture and harassment, with little sight of hope of any way out. I knew about them God. But man, didn't you see how hot I looked in those skinny jeans? Come on God, if you had this body, you know you'd be strutting your stuff too."

And I'm not gonna lie, yeah part of me feels like this. Well, not necessarily the hot bod part, but wanting to look good in the newest threads. Or just wanting to have nice stuff and not think about it. And listen, in my opinion there's nothing wrong with shopping, furnishing a home or being fashionable. I enjoy and do all of the above. What I am saying is: I know I am accountable. My bliss is over, I'm no longer ignorant. I grew up hearing, "to whom much is given, much is required." Yeah well I'm among the richest in the world, so there must be something required of me. There is.
I'm responsible.
(Slavery 101 coming soon...)

No comments:

Post a Comment