Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The Guidelines

OK, so it's only been what 13 days into this and already- WOWSAS- been quite a challenge to live 'slave free.' I think it might be impossible as of today. Unless I lived on an island, pranced around in bikinis made from palm branches and managed my own one-man pina colada hut. Hmm, yes, that sounds like a nice, fair, life. Teddie, after MIT, let's buy our first blended drinks hut. In Kauai. Shoot, after MIT, let's buy Kauai. (but would that be a fair purchase?)

Here are my "I want slavery to end- purchasing" guidelines:
First, this will be difficult. I'm certain of it. I won't always know where to draw the line between slavery and immigrant work. I may never be certain that slavery is not involved in the production of products that I buy. But I'm giving it my best shot.

1. During the year of 2010, I will research, research, research. I'm a big fan of Origins beauty products and Reeses peanut butter cups and I want to learn how to surf this year, which means I'll need a wet suit and a surf board. I really don't want to give up the things I love forever. So I commit to thorough research of the companies I enjoy.

2. I commit my consumer powers to being a slave free as possible. I also will not pick up free candies, or coffee samples or super discounted shoes. But BY NO MEANS, will I reject a meal or gift someone has made or given to me. (I was once a Nazi vegetarian. I've hurt too many carnivores along the way by rejecting their veggie burgers they specially made me for, because they made on the same pan as the beef burgers-- All the while thinking I was some sort of God's woman, a woman of no-compromise. Well really I was a woman of no class and no gratefulness..... and no iron. Boy, I be grouchy without that iron. It's all about the fishes today, hallelujah!

3. I will purchase only Fair Trade coffee, tea, chocolate, bananas, sugar, vanilla, mangoes, molasses, soaps, flowers, rugs, clothing,jewelry and anything else I find out about with a definite, for sure, 100% fair trade label.

4. Ths point is not to become thrifty, but at times second hand will be necessary. Second hand shopping will include appliances, clothing, shoes, books (including our text books),furniture, automobiles (if needed),car tires and sporting goods. There may be a few exceptions to this rule, but this seems like a comprehensive list.

5. For the most part, I will research products before I purchase them. I will not assume a company does or does not use slave labor. For example, If I want GAP jeans, I need to know if GAP's factories pay fair wages, give PTO, don't use child labor, etc etc.

6. Some items where I know slavery is linked to them I will still purchase. This includes gasoline, plane tickets, some foods, restaurants, school supplies, make up, perhaps a few others.

These are my guidelines for the year. It's good for me to have them posted for potentially the whole world to see. Keep me to them world.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited that you are doing this - because it's information that I want but don't exactly know how to go about finding. I would love to read specifics that you know about particular companies and how you found your info. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is going to be an amazing year. Thanks for allowing us to follow along on the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sister! I was so excited to get your e-mail this evening! I came back from my morning swim at the Y ( which Andrew has decided that he will no longer be accompanying me on, he's find plunging into water on winter evenings, but not mornings, anyhow...) I found a dejected Andrew at the computer, I asked him what he was up to and he said he was checking out Old Navys labor practices b/c he loves their pants so much ( and he too can identify with the tall persons delimma, girl you would think they would at least make MENS pants appropriately long, but NO my baby is more often than not in high waters!) Turns out their under the GAP branch along with Banana Republic FYI. I chuckled cynically at this. Anyhow I told him to check out GreenAmerica.org, they rate companies and corporations. It's how I found that New balance is at the top of the list for mainstream sneaker companies in fair practices, so now I buy their Committed to American workers line... Thought this might be a good resource. Good Luck Sister! Sanaa Balghiti-Myers

    ReplyDelete